Farm Tour 2008: A Success
On Thursday, July 17, 2008 40+ participants boarded the bus for a tour of rural Van Wert County, Ohio. Stops included: Pure Line Elevator, Hempfling Dairy Farm, Bockey Conservation Area, D&D Ingredient Distributors, Oberlitner Wetlands, and Agracola Farms. Here’s a breakdown of the stops:
- Pure Line: A grain elevator in Middlepoint, Ohio
- Hempfling Dairy Farm: A working dairy farm between Middlepoint and Delphos, Ohio
- Bockey Conservation Area: Owned by Steve and Joan Bockey, this is a wetland mitigation project
- D&D Ingredient Distributors: Primarily a transloader for feed, they also have vitamins, minerals, fertilizers, clay, etc. etc. A very cool place to visit if you are ‘in’ to agriculture like I am
- Oberlitner Wetlands: A wet farm converted to a wetland
- Agracola Farms: Dale and Trent Profit provided the group with a detailed overview of farming through the eyes of top grain farmers
The planning committee hasn’t made plans for 2009, but we’re definitely going to do something. Send your suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment to this post.
Chuck Hempfling, second from left, gives a verbal discussion of dairy farming prior to the walking tour of his dairy farm.