Tips for Obtaining County Cash Rent Data from NASS
Thanks to the folks at National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), we now have county-based cash rent information. I’ll save you a few steps if you are interested in cash rent for Van Wert County. The cash rent for marketing year 2008 was $126/acre.
Here is the procedure I recommend you use to get the data for your area:
1. start at the NASS homepage http://www.nass.usda.gov/
2. navigate to the left sidebar and click on ‘Economics’, which brings you to this page http://www.nass.usda.gov/QuickStats/indexbysubject.jsp?Pass_group=Economics
3. select ‘cash rents’ then hit the search button
4. Select: County Cash Rents Data Query –
5. Under “Select Location” – “Locale” select: COUNTY
6. Under “State” select: OHIO (or whatever state you have an interest)
7. You can select an individual county but I recommend you skip that and go to the bottom and select: Get Data
This will give you county by county cash rent averages from this Ag Stats survey for the entire state. From what I can see based on Van Wert County, this data is fairly representative and is a good place to begin the cash rent negotiation process.