Cage Free Egg Production in California: Economic Impact Predictions
Ohio State University Professor Dr. Brian Roe created this powerpoint presentation for the May 12, 2010 session of the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board public meeting. In this presentation, Dr. Roe cites a few studies that offer predictions of the economic impact of cage free egg production in California.
Summary (from slideset)
- Cage-free eggs are more costly to produce (40 –70%)
- $14/hen to convert existing capacity
- $28/hen + $90,000 per new house constructed
- Some large CA producers have facilities in other states already
- One study predicts the virtual elimination of egg production in California due to the above factors